Makinde Confirms Abduction of Seven Teachers in Oyo School Attack

Seyi Makinde

Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde, has confirmed that seven teachers were abducted during the recent attack on schools in the Oriire area of the state, while authorities are still working to determine the exact number of missing pupils.

The governor made this known on Sunday while addressing journalists after a security meeting with service commanders and heads of security agencies over the incident.

Makinde disclosed that an Islamic Studies teacher lost his life during the attack, adding that security operatives had already arrested six suspects within the community as well as three other persons of interest linked to the incident.

According to the governor, preliminary investigations suggest the attackers may be members of armed groups fleeing intensified military operations against terrorists and bandits in parts of North-West Nigeria.

“With the pressure on terrorists and bandits in the North-West, they will continue to move southward,” Makinde said.

He explained that the state government had been in discussions with neighbouring states and security agencies over the growing security threat, warning that criminal groups displaced from conflict zones could target areas with weaker security structures.

“But the problem we have is that once pressure is mounted in one area, we must be prepared here to either repel or neutralise any terrorists fleeing those pressure points,” he added.

Makinde also revealed that some of those arrested were suspected to have acted as informants for the attackers within the affected communities.

“The information available is that about six individuals have been arrested within the locality. Some of them we believe are informants. Also, three individuals of interest have been arrested,” he stated.

Read Also:

UNICEF, Imo Government Partner to Boost Maternal and Child Nutrition

The governor stressed that the state would not rely solely on military force in handling the crisis, noting that consultations were ongoing with traditional rulers, community leaders and religious bodies, including the Baptist Convention, since one of the affected schools belongs to the church.

“We have decided that we will adopt not just a kinetic approach. We are engaging leaders, elders and religious leaders, especially at the Baptist Convention,” he said.

Makinde appealed to residents to remain calm and assured families of the abducted victims that efforts were ongoing to secure their safe return.

“We are not taking this lightly. We will do everything within our means to resolve this quickly and bring our children back safely,” the governor assured.

Describing the situation as “very difficult and challenging,” Makinde announced that the state government would begin daily press briefings to keep residents informed about rescue efforts and security updates.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *