Suspected bandits have abducted at least six travellers along the Naka–Makurdi road in Benue State in the early hours of Tuesday.
The incident reportedly happened at Kula village, a community located a few kilometres from Makurdi, the state capital.
A relative of one of the victims, who spoke anonymously, said the travellers were seven in number and had left Ilorin on Monday. Due to security concerns on the route, they spent the night in Ankpa, Kogi State, before continuing their journey early Tuesday.
According to the source, their vehicle was intercepted by armed men at Kula village, about 20 minutes’ drive from Makurdi.
“They were seven in the vehicle and left Ankpa early this morning, but their vehicle was stopped at Kula village. One passenger escaped, while the remaining six — three men and three women — were taken away,” the source said.
The abductors are said to have demanded a ransom of N100 million for the release of the victims.
Chairman of Gwer West Local Government Area, Omnin Torsar, confirmed the attack, stating that it occurred around 5 a.m. on Tuesday along the Naka–Makurdi axis.
“It’s true, I have confirmed the abduction. I was told it happened around 5 a.m. They were travelling in a convoy when they ran into bandits who abducted some of them,” he said, adding that he could not confirm the exact number of those taken.
Read Also;
Tinubu Mourns Jesse Jackson, Hails Late Activist as Global Symbol of Justice
Meanwhile, the Police Public Relations Officer in the state, DSP Udeme Edet, said she was yet to receive an official report on the incident.
Kidnapping has continued to rise in Benue State in recent weeks. Just last week, nine worshippers were abducted from St John’s Catholic Church in Ojije, Ado Local Government Area, while 14 travellers were kidnapped in neighbouring Okpokwu LGA.
The latest abduction has renewed concerns about safety along the Makurdi–Naka road, which had only recently recorded fewer attacks following increased security deployment.
