The Defence Headquarters in Abuja has begun interrogating all military personnel assigned to the Government Girls’ Comprehensive Senior Secondary School, Maga, in Kebbi State, following the abduction of 26 schoolgirls by terrorists.
A senior government official confirmed that the troops were summoned after questions arose about why they withdrew from the school shortly before the attack. The terrorists struck on November 17, killed the vice principal, Malam Hassan Makuku, and abducted 26 students. Two girls later escaped, leaving 24 in captivity until their release earlier this week.
Governor Questions Sudden Withdrawal
Governor Nasir Idris had demanded an investigation, noting that the state had earlier received intelligence that the school was at risk. Security personnel were deployed in response — making their sudden withdrawal deeply suspicious.
The District Head of Maga, Muhammad Dantani, said the soldiers left their duty post around 1am, just before the attack began at about 1:30am.
He explained that the police on ground felt overwhelmed by the number of attackers and chose not to open fire, fearing certain death. With no resistance, the bandits operated freely for nearly two hours.
Troops Now in Abuja for Interrogation
According to government and security sources, the military personnel—believed to be from the Zuru Army Barracks—are now facing questioning to determine who gave the order to pull out.
A senior military officer, who spoke anonymously, said the probe would be thorough and anyone found guilty would face consequences.
Read Also;
DHQ Vows Swift Action After Kebbi and Niger School Abductions
How the Girls Were Released
Sources said the military initially attempted a rescue but later switched tactics. Heavy surveillance, deployment of troops and a helicopter blocked the bandits from relocating the girls. Negotiations then followed, leading to the safe return of the students at the border between Gusau (Zamfara) and Kebbi.
A viral video also showed a bandit leader confirming that negotiations secured the release.
Parents: ‘Our Children Will Return to School’
Despite the traumatic incident, parents of the rescued students say they remain committed to educating their children.
– Mallam Ibrahim Naibi said the attack only strengthened his resolve: “My children will go to school. It is my promise to them.”
– Abubakar Jibrin said fear would not stop the community from prioritizing education, especially for girls.
– Another parent, Sani Jimri, added: “Education is our hope for a better future.”
One father, Mallam Abubakar, recalled the agony of waiting without a single message from the captors: “The silence was torture.”
The community now awaits the outcome of the military investigation as they try to rebuild trust and ensure safer schooling for their children.
