The Defence Headquarters has said the recent abduction incident in Oyo State was carried out by terrorists who fled from other parts of the country following intensified military operations.
The military made the clarification on Thursday while reacting to reports it described as misleading and mischievous regarding comments credited to the Defence Headquarters about security threats in the South-West.
In a statement signed by the Director of Defence Media Operations, Major General Michael Onoja, the military explained that the attackers involved in the Oyo kidnap were members of the Jama’atu Ahlis Sunna Lidda’awati wal-Jihad (JAS) terrorist group who had been displaced due to sustained military offensives across different regions of the country.
According to the statement, the terrorists moved into other areas after being pushed out of their former strongholds by ongoing operations of the Armed Forces.
“The recent kidnap incident in Oyo State was clearly carried out by terrorists of the JAS group who have been dislodged from other parts of the country due to high-intensity military operations,” the statement said.
The Defence Headquarters also denied reports suggesting it had described terrorists operating in the South-West as ordinary criminals.
“It is inaccurate and misleading to suggest that the Defence Headquarters at any point referred to violent terrorists as criminals,” Onoja stated.
The military explained that its earlier comments were intended to provide proper context to security developments in the South-West and prevent misinformation capable of causing unnecessary panic among residents.
Read Also:
Makinde signs executive order regulating vigilante, security groups
It also reaffirmed the commitment of the Armed Forces to protecting democratic institutions and supporting constitutional governance across the country.
“At no time did the Defence Headquarters undermine the authority of any democratically elected leader or downplay the seriousness of the crimes committed by these terrorist elements,” the statement added.
The military further disclosed that troops remain actively deployed in affected communities alongside other security agencies and local stakeholders to dismantle criminal and terrorist networks threatening peace and stability.
The clarification follows recent attacks in communities within Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, where armed men abducted pupils, teachers and residents from Community High School, Ahoro-Esinle.
The attack reportedly left several people dead, while one of the abducted teachers, Michael Oyedokun, was later confirmed killed after a video linked to the incident surfaced online
