Trump Weighs Limited Strike on Iran Amid Rising Tensions Over Nuclear Talks

Trump

US President Donald Trump has said he is considering a limited military strike on Iran, as Washington ramps up pressure on Tehran to reach a deal curbing its nuclear programme.

Speaking to reporters on Friday, Trump confirmed he was weighing military action after previously warning that “bad things” would happen if Iran failed to agree to a deal within a set deadline. Although he initially gave Tehran 10 days, he later extended the timeframe to 15 days.

“The most I can say — I am considering it,” Trump said when asked directly whether he was contemplating a limited strike.

The comments came as the United States ordered a major naval buildup in the Middle East. After deploying the USS Abraham Lincoln earlier this year, Washington has now sent a second aircraft carrier, the Gerald Ford, to the region in a clear show of force.

Meanwhile, diplomatic efforts are ongoing. Following negotiations in Geneva earlier this week, Iran’s Foreign Minister, Abbas Araghchi, said a draft proposal for a potential agreement would be ready within days.

“I believe that in the next two, three days, that would be ready,” Araghchi said, adding that the draft would be handed over to Trump’s chief Middle East negotiator, Steve Witkoff, after final approval from Iranian authorities.

However, Araghchi rejected claims that the United States had demanded a complete halt to Iran’s uranium enrichment programme.

“We have not offered any suspension, and the US side has not asked for zero enrichment,” he said, stressing that discussions were focused on ensuring Iran’s nuclear activities remain peaceful.

His remarks contradict repeated statements by Trump and other senior US officials who have insisted that Iran must not enrich uranium at any level.

Western governments accuse Tehran of seeking nuclear weapons — a claim Iran denies — while maintaining that it has the right to enrich uranium for civilian energy purposes. In return for concessions, Iran is seeking relief from heavy economic sanctions that have strained its economy and fueled domestic unrest.

Tensions between the two countries have escalated in recent months. The sides resumed talks on February 6 in Oman — their first since negotiations collapsed during last year’s 12-day Iran-Israel conflict, which saw the US strike Iranian nuclear facilities.

Read Also;

Aten Community Honours Victims of Woro Massacre in Emotional Memorial

Trump reiterated his warning on Thursday during a meeting of his “Board of Peace” initiative for post-war Gaza, saying a meaningful deal must be reached to avoid consequences.

Iran’s ambassador to the United Nations, Amir Saeid Iravani, responded that US bases and assets in the region would become “legitimate targets” if Washington launched an attack.

Despite the heated rhetoric, Araghchi insisted there was “no ultimatum” and said both sides were interested in reaching a swift agreement, particularly as Iran remains under sanctions.

As diplomatic talks continue, both nations have conducted military manoeuvres in the Gulf, with Iran holding naval drills near the strategic Strait of Hormuz while the US strengthens its presence — underscoring the fragile balance between negotiation and confrontation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *