Oyo School Abduction: IGP Deploys More Detectives as Fear Spreads Across Ogbomoso

Police

The Inspector-General of Police, Tunji Disu, has deployed additional detectives from the Force Headquarters in Abuja to support ongoing efforts to rescue students and teachers abducted from three schools in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State.

A police source disclosed on Tuesday that the reinforcement was aimed at strengthening collaboration with security operatives already working in the area to ensure the victims are rescued safely.

According to the source, the government and security agencies are intensifying efforts to secure the release of the abducted students and teachers without harm.

The victims were kidnapped during coordinated attacks on Friday at Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yawota; Community Grammar School; and L.A. Primary School, Esiele, all located in Oriire LGA.

Governor Seyi Makinde had earlier confirmed that seven students were abducted from Community Secondary School, while another 18 pupils and seven teachers were kidnapped from First Baptist Primary and Nursery School. One person was reportedly killed during the attack.

The incident triggered panic across Ogbomoso and nearby communities, with many parents rushing to schools to withdraw their children over fears of further attacks.

There were also rumours that bandits had invaded Ladoke Akintola University of Technology (LAUTECH), causing anxiety among residents and students.

A resident of Ogbomoso, Kazeem Abdullah, said several students fled classrooms in fear while some schools shut down temporarily.

Reports also emerged from Ajaawa in Ogo-Oluwa Local Government Area claiming suspected bandits were disturbing peace in the area.

However, the Oyo State Police Command dismissed reports of bandit infiltration into Ogbomoso, describing the situation as a false alarm caused by misinformation.

Police spokesperson Olayinka Ayanlade explained that the panic started after some students spotted unfamiliar faces near a school fence. Investigations later revealed the individuals were an officer of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps attached to the Kwara State Command and two civilians who had visited the area for a birthday celebration.

The command added that an argument between the visitors and some teachers escalated suspicion, leading students to spread unverified claims that triggered panic in neighbouring schools and communities.

Police authorities said security patrols had been intensified across affected areas and normal activities had resumed.

Meanwhile, LAUTECH management also denied reports that the institution had been shut down because of security fears.

In a statement signed by the university registrar, Olayinka Balogun, the institution confirmed that academic activities and examinations were continuing as scheduled.

Amid the growing insecurity, traditional rulers from the five local government areas in Ogbomosoland called on the Federal Government to establish a military base in Oriire Local Government Area.

The Alapa of Apa, Akin Akintola, said the increasing attacks on rural communities and schools showed that police efforts alone were no longer enough to tackle the situation.

He warned that insecurity was spreading into the South-West and affecting farming, education and daily life in many communities.

Read Also:

Dispatch Rider Feared Dead In Hit-And-Run Accident On Lagos-Ibadan Expressway

The monarch appealed to President Bola Tinubu to urgently approve the establishment of a military formation near the forest reserve areas around Oriire to help curb attacks by armed groups.

The Oodua People’s Congress also urged South-West governors to empower local security outfits to confront criminal gangs operating in the region.

OPC President Wasiu Afolabi said insecurity had reached alarming levels and warned that communities could no longer remain vulnerable to attacks.

Activist Sunday Igboho also declared readiness to confront criminal groups operating in forests across the South-West if given official approval.

Religious leaders also condemned the attacks, with the Pentecostal Fellowship of Nigeria describing the abduction and killing linked to the incident as evidence of worsening insecurity in the country.

The organisation said the repeated attacks on schools and rural communities showed a failure of the government’s responsibility to protect citizens and called for stronger action against banditry and kidnapping.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *